Using pita bread, you can make many varieties of snacks & meals!
It's wholesome & filling!
2 tablespoons yeast
2 cups warm water
8 cups flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon salt
Dissolve the yeast in the water - add 1 tablespoon of the flour and let it stand until it gets bubbly.
Mix the 2 flours and salt in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture & enough water to make a very stiff dough.
Mix & knead until smooth.
Cover and let rise until it's doubled in size.
Punch dough down and divide it into small round balls (about 3 inches).
Preheat oven to 525. Roll out the balls on a floured surface. Cook on a cookie sheet 1 at a time. Takes only a few minutes!
You can see them puff up & get brown in areas.
Remove from oven and cover with a towel until cool.
Ideas for use:
* toast it & add butter
* eggs, bacon, cheese, for a breakfast sandwich
* peppers, scrambled eggs, ham, cheese, etc.. omelet sandwich
(egg/ham salad, seafood salad, blt, ham & cheese)
* fill with cheese & melt - dip in salsa
* peanut butter & jelly
* mozzarella, pepperoni's, mushrooms, sauce - for a pizza snack
* Lettuce, grilled chicken, tomatoes, & onions - with choice of sauce
* beef & onion